12.15.2013

A Downton Themed Tea at Barnes & Noble!

Hello!
 
This weekend I attended a Downton Abbey themed party at the local Barnes & Noble bookstore. It featured tea, cookies, trivia, as well as a hat and costume contest! I had a wonderful time with all the other ladies that attended and had fun bonding over all things Downton. I had fun putting together my ensemble for the event, trying to match the upcoming season, which is the early 1920's.
 
 
Though not necessary, I tried to make my look as accurate as I could. I chose to wear a black dress with black embroidery and a black cloche with a felt flower. I accessorized with a long peach colored pearl necklace and my peach beaded handbag. Because my dress hem was above my knees, (unacceptable in these circumstances!) I wore a black skirt underneath the dress so my hem was at an acceptable length, mid-calf. Another benefit of the skirt underneath was that it gave the dress a tiered effect, which was somewhat common at the time. When we chose the nominees for the contests, I was lucky enough to win the costume contest and a trivia contest! It was a tie with another woman with a fantastic outfit. She also won the hat contest, which was well deserved. For the prizes, I won a photo album and canister of tea.
 
The costume contest winners
 
 
Ivy

2 comments:

  1. Your dress looks great with the skirt underneath, I really like the tiered look it creates. You look like you would fit right in with the ladies of Downton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrat on winning the costume contest. you really did a great job!
    i really have to catch up with downton ...

    ReplyDelete