7.05.2015

Lately I Love: 1930's Embroidered Ladies

Something I've been completely enamored with as of late, are these adorable embroidered and often hand-tinted or appliqued ladies.

Recently, I was at an antique shop and saw some lovely embroidered and embellished pillows with faces or silhouettes of beautiful ladies on them. I have always enjoyed sketching female faces and portraits. Add that to my love of embroidery and you have extreme inspiration! I have started one of my own, which is pictured first.


I wanted to my girl to be very elegant with an element of flora or nature. Her soft green headband has a small bouquet of lilies-of-the-valley and violets. I also made her be a redhead, of course.

Whether they are depicted as Southern Belles in a garden, a flapper with her modern bobbed hair and expressive face, or a mademoiselle of the late 18th century, I absolutely adore them. Here are some photos for inspiration.

Beautiful vintage boudoir pillow design

Pretty!

Tinted with ink and oil sticks, embellished with embroidery

Vintage Hand Embroidered Runner Southern Belle Parasol Garden Crocheted Edge

Lovely tinted muslin apron

old embroidery

Art Deco Hand Embroidered Lace Pillow Amazing Lady Hat | eBay
These photos are from Pinterest, see this board for more
amazing embroidery featuring these delicate dames.

I hope embroidering becomes a favorite pastime again.
Things always come and go, old trends resurface, so I think this would too.

Ivy

4 comments:

  1. Very nice! I love the one you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The lady you embroidered is lovely! I would love to embroider, I just haven't taken the time to learn how! I do cross stitch, but it's not quite the same! Thanks for sharing these pretty photos! Blessings!
    allthingsvintage-sc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. How tremendously lovely!!! Stitchery is near and dear to my heart, too, in fact - perhaps my oldest craft love, cross stitch, has been calling to me a great deal this summer, so I hope to squeeze in some time for it soon.

    Your embroidery is positively breathtaking!

    Big hugs & many thanks for your great comment this weekend,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete